Autumn is here, which means it’s time to gorge on gourds, including pumpkin and squash. One of my favorites, and a quick and easy recipe, is butternut squash soup. Creamy, comforting, and delicious. This soup does a great job of encapsulating autumn in all its glory, and it’s much more natural than your average pre-made autumn meal found in the store. Nothing says fall better than a nice hot cup of soup.
For someone with a busy schedule this is a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze or refrigerate for later. Pour into a mason jar for a quick and easy grab-and-go lunch. You don’t even need a spoon!
- 2 Butternut Squash
- ½ White Onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 Apples chopped
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Cannabutter
- ½ cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp allspice, nutmeg, clove spice (optional)
- Fresh Sage (or dried) to taste
- Salt and Pepper
By using cannabutter instead of olive oil, you can get the benefits of cannabis with the comforts of a home cooked meal.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. If you stab the squash all the way around and then microwave it for two minutes, cutting it becomes more manageable.
- Place the squash halves face down on a baking sheet and bake for about an hour, until soft.
- When the squash is almost finished baking, start preparing the soup. In a large pot, heat cannabutter and add in onion. Cook for about two minutes, until the onion is translucent, and then add garlic. Cook for about a minute and then add in the apples.
- Scoop out the butternut squash from its shell and add to the pot. Add spices, some salt and pepper, sage, vegetable broth, and almond milk. If using a hand mixer, mix all ingredients until smooth. Otherwise, pour ingredients into blender and mix. You may have to do this in batches.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parsley, pepper, or pumpkin seeds. Most importantly, enjoy!
Makes: 10 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Active Prep Time: 20 minutes