“This colorful grilled chicken salad is a fan favorite,” says Jeffthe420Chef of his easy, healthy, and hazy modern Asian creation. Anyone who has ever ordered a pub salad with grilled chicken, knows it can be a crapshoot—just asking for wilted greens, tasteless chicken and a glob of Hidden Valley. But this salad, in addition to being a crispy, delicious snack you can create yourself, is also the ideal delivery system for a bit of cannabis. “It’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory,” Jeffthe420Chef continues. “The salad is not only light, simple to make and chock full of flavor, it also kicks in pretty quickly since the cannabinoids are in the oil on top of the salad and easily metabolized.”
Number of servings: 12 side salad / 6 entrée APPROXIMATE DOSE PER SERVING Preparation Time: 40 mins CBD @ 20%: 4/8mg Cooking time: 8-10 minutes THC @ 10%: 2/4mg THC @ 14%: 2.5/5mg
*Approximate dose per serving is based on using 5 grams of cured/dried/decarbed Cannatonic CBD 20%/THC10%. If you use a non-CBD strain, I have calculated 14%THC, the THC percentage after curing, drying and decarbing the average 16% strain.
To marinate the chicken:
● 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
● 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
● 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
● 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
● 2 tablespoons sesame oil (plain) For the dressing
● 1⁄2 cup strawberries (muddled)
● 1⁄4 cup canna-sesame oil
● 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
● 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
● 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
● 1 teaspoon minced garlic
● 1⁄2 tablespoon strawberry jam
● Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
● 3 cups kale, torn into pieces or chiffonade
● 3 cups baby greens
● 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
● 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
● 1 cup brussel sprouts, shredded
● 1 cup broccoli florets
● 2 blood oranges, supreme, OR one small can mandarin oranges
● 3⁄4 cup strawberries, sliced
● 1 mango, diced
● 1 cup snow peas
● 1 Italian cucumber, sliced thin
● 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
Marinate the chicken:
1. Pound chicken breasts until the sides are even.
2. Mix the hoisin sauce, barbecue sauce kosher salt, and plain sesame oil into 1⁄2 cup of water and stir well.
3. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziploc bag along with the chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
4. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. I like to rotate each side 45o halfway through cooking time.
5. Remove from the grill and let cool 5 minutes.
6. Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
Make the dressing:
Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set it aside to let the flavors develop.
To finish the salad:
1. Toss kale, baby greens, green cabbage, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, and broccoli.
2. Top with the marinated chicken, orange slices, strawberries, mango, snow peas and cucumber.
3. Drizzle with salad dressing and sprinkle with crushed ramen noodles and sesame seeds.
Photo: Leela Cyd